This work week was to be the week of Labor Day but that was the week before Hurricane Harvey happened. Houston flooded. Postponed this work until recovery was underway and no new surprises should arise. In the meantime, Hurricane Irma hit Florida and came up the west coast but died down before it went very far north. Did not get much wind or much-needed rain.
Cool early mornings becoming still and humid, then hot afternoons. Thunderstorms around most afternoons and rained three times.
Saturday, 9/16/2017 – Picked up limbs some and weeded beds some. Mowed the grass at the back door.
Sunday – Cut all 2 acres of grass and hauled away the limbs. Weeded the front beds and trimmed the crepe myrtles.
- Planted the seedlings we brought in front of the climbing roses either side of the gate and filled in between the pecan trees in the backyard.
- Picked the sand pears that are turning yellow and pulled away easily.
- Sprayed herbicide on grass dollar spots that remain from the last spraying.
- Timothy Turner/TNT Construction delivered HardiePlank trim boards and sheeting for the gables.
Went to Blairs and bought 3 daylilies, two Agapanthus (semi-dwarf Lily of the Nile), and two dark-leaf deep-red crepe myrtles named Sunset Magic (Lagerstroemia “PIILAG-IX PPAF”.
Tuesday & Wednesday
- Yard work with tiller to connect five roses and hydrangeas into one bed.
- Went to Kitchen & Bath Ct and talked to Angela who recommended for appliances Coast Design Kitchen & Bath. Talked with Barbara Fretwell 251-610-1887 and she quoted GE Monogram oven with a fume hood and GE Cafe Dishwasher.
- Tilled between crepes along the road fence to create a straight grass line.
- Chimney inspection by ARC found grout missing above the fire chamber and grout joints above roof need to be ground out and re-pointed and grout cap removed replaced and new SS cap provided for $2400.
- Picked up 2 scoops crushed pine bark mulch at Woerner and mulched new bed at back door, the new Sunset Magic Crepes and the beds either side of the gate.
- Planted more Mexican Lirope either side of the gate and deepened those beds.
- Planted more Mexican Lirope and pink plants between the pecan trees in the backyard. After all the seedlings were planted I counted 31 pots to take back to Houston to bring more.
- Spread mulch on the new bed and in larger beds in front of the angled fence at the gate.
- Planted the three First Editions’ Sunset Magic Crape Myrtles–bought Monday at Blair’s–along the driveway in the front yard. They are lined up with the plants in the new bed on the other side of the walkway and in front of the kitchen.
- Limed future citrus grove per soil test and treated carpenter ants with bifenthrin.
- Moved amaryllis bulbs from the oak tree at the road into beds. Two were huge — over 4″ in diameter.
- Re-tilled new beds along road fence raked out sod and it filled the wagon to the brim.
- Spread 13-13-13 on all beds. Spread cottonseed meal on new crepes.