The fall garden this year struggled with the heat and droughts that plagued it through October. It also did not help that work there was impeded by Libby who was 1+ years old and an aggressive 60 lb. puppy. I also was dealing with Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot so going back and forth was difficult.
- We had poor germination on Spinach and cabbage.
- tomatoes grown from spring cuttings were late being put in the garden due to the drought and were pot-bound when they were planted. They did ok with small green tomatoes when the regular frosts began in mid-November.
- Two fast-maturing cucumbers bought from HOSS, Parisian Gherkin Cucumber and Max Pack Cucumber, did not germinate in the fall. Will try leftover seeds in spring 2023.
- Tendergreen mustard planted during heat did ok as the second planting came up but did not grow. Deer tracks were all around but they did not eat any.
- Winter squash germinated well and bloomed prolifically with small squash. The frost of 11/18/2022 killed them all. The Seminole was the only one that was far enough along to have several small imature squash.
- 6th row
- North end – Autumn Frost squash about 15 feet
- Center – Seminole Squash, about 25 feet
- South end – Betternut Squash – 25 feet
- 4th row – in the north end sowed 10 feet of Warrior Bunching onion seed. Did not germinate,
- 5th row – in the north end sowed 30 feet of Green Magic Brocolli. Soil may be too hot still. The remainder of the row is empty.
- 6th row
Weather – See Spring Observations for weather then.
6/29 to 7/31 – Last 2 days of June had about 1.5 in. of rain. Total rainfall for July is 12.27 in. Rained almost every day.
8/1 to 8/29 – Total rainfall was 19.74 inches. It rained almost every day and kept the garden too wet to cultivate. Knocked down the weeds with Glyphosate.
10/21 & 22 – The first cold mornings with a low of 32.9 on the 21st then 32.2 on the 22nd. On the 22nd the dew point was 32° so we had the first light frost.
9/17 to 10/30 No Rain since 9/17/22 except 0.53″ on 10/12. Drought was over with 2.39″ on 10/29-30th. That was 6 weeks with only 0.53 inches of rain.
11/14/2022 – First frost this year.
11/18/2022 – We have had several frosts but everything lived through them. Today it was 27 degrees at sunrise and a hard frost that killed the tomatoes, and squash in the garden as well as the periwinkles in the yard.