Bought from Blairs an Oakland Holly in a
- 15-20 ft high and 12-15′ wide.
- Hardy to -10 to 0 degrees for Zones 6-9.
- red berries in late winter;
- growth is moderate to fast;
- medium water;
- pruning “just before
- fertilize yearly in the spring.
- Botanical Name – Ilex hybrid ‘Magland’ (PP4,417)
“The story of the Oakland Holly Tree is an interesting one. There are many species of holly trees and this tree has three parents. Its first two parents were the Chinese Holly (Ilex cornuta), a very sturdy holly with good drought resistance, and another Chinese holly, the rare Ilex perneyi. The resulting seedlings were then hybridized with a holly widely grown in Japan, called Ilex latifolia. From this mix of tough species grew a tough tree called the oak leaf holly.”
“All this work was done by a nurseryman called Jack Magee, from
See here for source of the extracted paragraphs above.