Used Frank’s hiller to pull up three more rows on the north end, west side next to the tomato sets. See notes below about the issues with the planter and the small quantities of seeds appearing to not dispense well.
The row next to the tomatoes is Serrano Tampiqueno. The next row east was seeded with Ancho Poblano and the third row from the tomatoes was seeded with Cayenne Long Red hot peppers.
None of them came up.
Lessons Learned with the Seeder
In order to plant the small pepper seeds at 18″ apart, I taped over seed pockets in seed plate No. 6. I used cellophane tape and the pocket knife to trim the tape to match the circular plate. To determine the number of pockets to tape over I rolled the seeder with the plate along a tape measure counting the pockets as they rolled by.
I found out that when the plate had turned halfway the seeder has moved 18″ forward. Need to evaluate that relationship vs. the number of seed pockets per plate in relation to the seed spacing for each plate.
The negative issue was that the plate is set just above the bottom of the red seed well and hence small quantities of small seeds are not picker up consistently. As I pushed it down the row I tipped it quickly toward the seed plate so seeds would move over and up to be picked up. Will wait and see how that works out.