10/24/2020 – This year almost every pecan tree has a lot of pecans and we are working to pick them up and use them or prepare them as gifts.
We bought the 18″ wide Bag-A-Nut and it does pick them up well along with the sticks, leaves, and dog poo. We used the floor fan to blow out most of the trash by pouring the nuts slowly over the blowing air and the lighter trash would blow beyond the tub below.
Today we picked up our first batch of pecans from Tanner Feed that had been cracked and blown. They required little effort to pick out the halves and pieces. The yield was as follows.
- 35 lbs. of cleaned Stewart nuts that were about 75% good ones
- 14 lbs. (40%) returned to us after cracking and blowing
- Final cleaning yielded:
- 6.5 lbs of halves
- 2.5 lbs of large pieces
- The total of 9 lbs. is 26% of the original 35 lbs.
- The 6.5 lbs were put into 13 ziplock bags in 0.5 lb. lots.
- The 2.5 lbs of large pieces were made into pecan butter. They yielded seven ¼-pint mason jars of butter plus a pint jar filled about 2/3rds full.
When we picked up these we left 62 lbs. that were better nuts. So, there will be a lot more next week.